Thursday, 9 January 2020

Final Shoot Analysis

In my final shoot I took heavy inspiration from "shot at dawn" by Chloe Dewe Matthews in the way i styaliezed the grim subject matter, using late evening light and more open framing than in my previous shoots. this gave a better sense of calm to the images and I'm very happy with how it came out.

 In this image I had to brighten it up before putting it on the newspaper article, I like how it's quite soft in it's framing and there's a sense of "wildness" to it. These things frame the death of the subject more respectfully than the previous shoots.
 This shot was meant to display the quietness of some of the places the murders can happen, so I delibrately waited for the scene to be empty until I took it, I also made sure it was taken in the corner, with the bike looking abandoned adding to the sense of quietness. the light is bright but flat, I hope this gave a somewhat calming feeling to the image.
 this image was meant to be the most "open" of all the pictures, which I did by taking it in the most open space. The light is soft and slightly dark, I wanted the late evening light to make it look "mournfull". The empty bench with branches from the tree above it implies a sense of lonelyness with the branches adding to a sense of "overbearingness".
I wanted this picture to look as "bleak" as possible as the subject matter of this one spesifically was so dark and disturbing. I did this by once again making the image as flat as possible colour wise, the angle makes the block of flats look more imposing too, adding to the sense of almost dystopian horror.

I'm extremely happy with how these came out, the images are a lot more nuanced than previous ones which I would like to belive shows a growth in my process from the early days of this project. where before I was making images to be "scary" in the past while now my images are more true to the feel of what the places are really like. This contributes to my original aim which was to show how awful things can happen in unassuming places, the images are not imediately offputting, meaning that the viewer learning that a murder happened there has more impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment