I went to three locations, each of which was the site of an unsolved murder that I wanted to feature in my piece.
I experimented with a few different settings before settling on the darkest possible configuration while maintaining the maximum detail. I believe this works best for the mood of the piece which is to give off a sense of "danger" as the victim was
This shoot was quite hard as the details in the news report were quite vague. the man was killed as he was leaving his job in templemeads station, but it didn't say where this actually happened, leaving me to guess at what happened, I still don't know which image I will use. but I think either of the last two would work best. to either imply he stumbled onto a bench or that he wandered out of the back of the station. I cannot decide partly because I'm not sure how intellectually honest this would be to the representation of a real person who died.
This shoot I found especially hard to do as there was no information on the person who was killed's location beyond "the Bristol downs". I wanted to emphasise a sense of "loss" in these images as the victim was a young student nurse, which stuck out to me because of the loss of potential of the person involved.
this entire project has made me feel uncomfortable and I almost regret doing it. for reasons similar to how I felt during my project in "cultural and photographical context" while photographing homeless people. I feel unequipped to properly portray these people and their stories. especially doing it with this dark over current, I feel like I'm making these people's suffering and stories a sort of cheap horror story for my own amusement. I will be re-examining my own process during my next shoot.
No comments:
Post a Comment